Saturday, April 12, 2008

one more anecdote from Jujuy




So, i forgot to tell you about this amazing time in the noroeste de Argentina. Almost every night, Logan and I went out to a pena, a bar/restaurant where local folklorico music is performed. One special night in Tilcara, the musicians were particularly amazing. After the show, we struck up a conversation with them and I mentioned that I am taking folkloric guitar lessons in Buenos Aires. He handed me his guitar and I began to play a Samba called Luna Tucumana. Catriel, the musician, got his flute and started playing along with me, meanwhile the people behind us were singing along. I love how people here have a connection to and a passion for their national music, and how the songs have so much more meaning than those of say, Shania Twain. (sorry if you happen to be a fan) It was a blast. I ended up going to another local pub with Catriel and friends, where everyone was far too drunk for their own good, and we played guitar and sang our heads off until the sun came up.

No comments: