Sunday, December 9, 2007

Grandma Lauren

So today I was riding in a cab. As I mentioned, I enjoy talking with the drivers as they have all been so kind. This particular man passed a photo back of an adorable little girl and said, "mi nieta linda." I agreed, passing the photo back to him, I said, "Yo tambien. Tengo una nieta." He looked surprised and said, "Es impossible!" I said, "Si, Tengo una nieta y un nieto." Then he asked how old I was and I said 28. He said "nieta" was "la hija de mi hija". That's when I realized I had said, with much conviction, that I had both a granddaughter and a grandson. He laughed hysterically and I said I meant the kids of my brother. That would be, "sobrina y sobrino". Apparently I am learning Spanish the hard way, via complete humiliation.

1 comment:

HeartlandWarrior said...

Hermana, mándame su dirección rápidamente para que pueda enviarle un regalo de Navidad!
Te quiero y te pierdas!